Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2000 12:48:45 -0500
From:      "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@waterspout.com>
To:        Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Carrying Bag for VAIO 505-TR

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000 18:35:09 PST, Jeremy Lea wrote:

> You wouldn't happen to have the details on the hibernation partition
> for this machine?  I just got one and I've yet to install freebsd.
> However, it didn't come with a hiberbation partition, and I want
> to set it up right before I repartition.

I'm not sure I remember all the details.  Here's the fdisk output
of my disk (running 4.0-STABLE):

> ******* Working on device /dev/rad0 *******
> parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
> cylinders=839 heads=240 sectors/track=63 (15120 blks/cyl)
>
> parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
> cylinders=839 heads=240 sectors/track=63 (15120 blks/cyl)
>
> Media sector size is 512
> Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
> Information from DOS bootblock is:
> The data for partition 1 is:
> sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
>   start 63, size 12398337 (6053 Meg), flag 80 (active)
>	beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 1;
>	end: cyl 819/ sector 63/ head 239
> The data for partition 2 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 3 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 4 is:
> sysid 160,(unknown)
>   start 12398400, size 272160 (132 Meg), flag 0
>	beg: cyl 820/ sector 1/ head 0;
>	end: cyl 837/ sector 63/ head 239

I heard (from Andrew Korty - on the cc: line) that there was a DOS
based utility on the "restore my machine" CDROM that will initialize
the sysid 160 partition for you.  I've included part of his recent
email to me on the topic:

> Date:    Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:42:49 EST
> To:      "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@waterspout.com>
> From:    "Andrew J. Korty" <ajk@iu.edu>
> Subject: Re: Vaio come and me wanna go home
>
> Apparently the hibernation slice has to be formatted somehow.  The
> PHDISK.EXE tool on the System Recovery CD does it.  I can hibernate
> now, but I have to manually power it off (holding the power switch
> for 4 seconds) when it is done saving to disk after I hit Fn-F12.
> I'm sure that's not right.  Does yours do that?

Hope this help you get it working.  It's a nice machine.

 - Steve

--
C. Stephen Gunn, Computer Systems Engineer         <csg@physics.purdue.edu>
Physics Computer Network, Purdue University