Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 1995 23:56:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
To:        paul@freefall.cdrom.com (Paul Richards)
Cc:        phk@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: From the release-eng's wishlist

> > Next:  "Vak" wrote a "compressed kernel" gadget back in 1.X days, I have
> > looked at it, and would love to have it working again.  Anybody willing to
> > take a look ?  It would give us some space on the boot and cpio floppies..
> > (If you can use the "inflate" already in the kernel it would be nice, since
> > that has already been "kernelized".)
>
> Well, that would be a truly neat trick, to use  the kernel inflate code
> to load the kernel :-)
>
> Did I miss something here Poul?

yes obviously.  :-)

What his code does is to generate a image like this:

[executable uncompressor|compressed kernel]

I see no need to have the same source twice in the kernel tree, so for
the executable uncompressor, use the inflate we already have in the tree...

got it ?

--
Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@login.dknet.dk>
TRW Financial Systems, Inc.