Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:32:11 +0900 (JST)
From:      Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET
Cc:        marks@ripe.net, john@veidit.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG, acpi-jp@jp.freebsd.org
Subject:   ACPI support (was Re: apm support)

[subject was changed]

Hi,

> WinXP, it was running under ACPI.  However, with the GENERIC kernel, the
> fan doesn't seem to go on.  Is there a way to disable the system from
> suspending when the lid is closed?  or would adding device apm to the
> kernel and then enabling apmd and apm in rc.conf cause it to read the
> settings in the BIOS which I used the ThinkPad PS2 utility to configure
> instead?  When I attempt to do a make buildworld, after about 5 minutes it
> would display the following message and then the system shuts off by
> itself shortly thereafter.
>
> Sep  9 11:01:32 exabyte kernel: acpi_tz0: WARNING - current temperature
> (97.8C) exceeds system limits

It seems that your sysctl has wrong configuration and your kernel
maybe too old.

to disable sleep state transition by lid switch:
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=NONE

APM BIOS is completely disabled when acpi(4) is enabled.  The acpi(4)
just emulates limited functions of APM by using acpi functions.

Cooling system control code had serious bugs, fixed at 8/27.
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active=-1 should be OK if you want auto-thermal
management.  To force thermal zones activated:
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active=0
hw.acpi.thermal.tz1.active=0
[snip]
hw.acpi.thermal.tz5.active=0
hw.acpi.thermal.tz6.active=0

Note that hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active=1 is worng because it is not
bool value, and
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx: 3632 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
there is no _AC1.  There is only _AC0, so 0 must be specified to
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active to force tz0 activated.

ACPI for FreeBSD is still under development, the best way to obtain
the most accurate info. is check /sys/dev/acpica/*.[ch] files for now :-)
Documents at http://acpi.info/spec.htm would be helpful too.

Of course, volunteers for development and documentation always are welcome.

Thanks