Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 16:00:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joshua Goodall <joshua@roughtrade.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/41436 net/spread did not build the shared libs

The following reply was made to PR ports/41436; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Joshua Goodall <joshua@roughtrade.net>
To: Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 08:58:50 +1000

 On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 10:37:36PM -0700, Sean Chittenden wrote:
 > 	net/spread can be built to include shared libs but was not
 > 	currently doing so.  The included patch fixes this.

 Any particular reason why it's required?  All of the Spread
 applications I've seen use the static libs, which the authors
 themselves recommend.

 I'd rather they were installed as libspread.so to avoid potential
 runtime conflict with the textproc/sp package but the upstream
 doesn't care very much about this :)

 OTOH maybe you have a demonstrable need for the .so's!
 Please follow up.

 Cheers
 Joshua (pkg maintainer)