Date:      Fri, 16 May 1997 07:28:22 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Richard Foulk <richard@pegasus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: which sound card?  SB32/AWE32

Richard Foulk:
 |Aloha,  any recommendations on a decent sound card that works
 |with 2.2?  Other than a GUS PnP that is.  I've got one of those and
 |it doesn't work very well with my AMD 486.

Just caught up on the Gus PnP thread that this spawned.  Sounds like its
there's a trick to getting it to work.

Seriously, as far as good sound cards go, I haven't been disappointed with
my Sound Blaster 32.  Full SB16, SB compatibility, works great with the
existing FreeBSD Voxware drivers, and can't beat the support in other OSs.
The only thing it doesn't have I have wanted in the past is full-duplex
support in FreeBSD.  But this isn't a big deal to me.

Even has MIDI support.  I took time earlier this week and updated Takashi
Iwai's AWE32 driver (v0.4.0).  It'll plug right into FreeBSD:

    http://bahamut.mm.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~iwai/midi.html

I also updated the Doom musserver port, so FreeBSD SB32/AWE32 users can now
get music w/o the elusive 3.5 Voxware drivers that have never been ported
(to my knowledge).  Takashi should be posting this shortly, or you can
e-mail me and I'll send you a copy (it's not a big patch).

Randall