Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 2002 10:20:58 -0700
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        "Jens Rehsack" <rehsack@liwing.de>
Cc:        "Dan Nelson" <dnelson@allantgroup.com>, <jon@math.upd.edu.ph>, "David J Duchscher" <daved@nostrum.com>, "questions - freebsd" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Subject:   Re: Finding --WITH_ACL_SUPPORT (Was Re: samba 2.2.4 broken)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jens Rehsack" <rehsack@liwing.de>
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2002 1:27 AM

> Drew Tomlinson wrote:

ACLs.
> > install

> > thread.
> > and

> > Makefile,

> > options?
> > >
> > > Your assumption is a little wrong. All the options was in
> > net/samba/Makefile
> > > before we're written the menu. The menu script just sets some
> > options,
> > > so building samba will work fine/not fine with or without
options.

> > > I recommend you to do a make clean after a port build fails and
you
> > do
> > > not need any of the working data anymore. All menu's I know
store
> > their
> > > configuration in a file named Makefile.inc.
> >
> > Thanks for your response.  I have been doing the make clean as you
> > suggest.
> >
> > > As far I interpret your mails either you have anywhere defined
> > "WITH_ACL_SUPPORT"
> > > or some tool that you may use did it for you.
> >
> > It must be some tool.  I'm still pretty much a newbie so I don't
>
> What'S the way you build a port?
> $ make build

I've been using portupgrade -N.

> > change things from their defaults.  I figure the "pros" know
better
> > than me.  :)
>
> I'm not the pro you may think. I just know a little about the samba
> port and (now) about /etc/make.conf

> > got
> > >
> > > ??? Maybe your /etc/defaults/make.conf - try a
> > > $ grep "WITH_ACL_SUPPORT" * */*
> > > in /etc - maybe it helps :-)
> >
> > Nothing here:
> >
> > blacklamb# cd /etc
> > blacklamb# grep -i "WITH_ACL_SUPPORT" * */*
> > blacklamb#
> >
> > > Also your .profile could be "corrupted" - check your environment
> > (`env`).
> >
> > Nothing here AFAICT.
> >
> > blacklamb# env

PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr
> > /local/scripts:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin:/usr/games
> > MAIL=/var/mail/drew
> > BLOCKSIZE=K
> > FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES
> > USER=drew
> > LOGNAME=drew
> > HOME=/root
> > SHELL=/bin/csh
> > SSH_CLIENT=192.168.15.4 1696 22
> > SSH_TTY=/dev/ttyp1
> > TERM=vt220
> > SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-MXJW1xhw/agent.2094
> > HOSTTYPE=FreeBSD
> > VENDOR=intel
> > OSTYPE=FreeBSD
> > MACHTYPE=i386
> > SHLVL=2
> > PWD=/etc
> > GROUP=wheel
> > HOST=blacklamb.mykitchentable.net
> > REMOTEHOST=192.168.15.4
> > EDITOR=/usr/bin/ee
> > PAGER=more

> > tree
> > What's
> >
> > > Sorry that I must say, but the lines are very clear:
> > > if( ( someone has somewhere defined WITH_ACL_SUPPORT ) but (
FreeBSD
> > is not 5.0 or higher ) )
> > > then
> > >   say him, I don't want do that :-(
> > > else
> > >   do it
> > > end if
> > >
> > > Somewhere on your system this setting must be set - I do not
know
> > where. But it must.
> >
> > Thanks for your assistance.  I believe you but don't really know
where
> > to look next.  Here is a list of my installed ports.  Any ideas?
>
> Me too :-) - but mayby David W. Chapman knows.
> Your ports looking ok, but you should someday remove the old modula3
compiler
> and the old gettext.

I did some more looking but didn't find any of the Makefile.inc files
both you and Bill mentioned that contain menu settings.  Then I tried
running portupgrade -f samba just to see if it would work today, after
getting a build yesterday by commenting out the --WITH_ACL_SUPPORT
menu lines in the Makefile as I described previously.  Now everything
works normally so I guess my build yesterday overwrote what/where ever
the ACL option was set.

Anyway, thanks to you and all the others that responded for your
assistance!

Drew