Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:54:44 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Roberto Armenteros <rarmente@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing PAO "the utility for PCMCI detection

> Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:56:14 -0800 (PST)
> From: Roberto Armenteros <rarmente@yahoo.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> FreeBSD 4.4 did not detect my network pc card "3com
> megahertz" from my compaq armada 7400 laptop.
> Everything else including X installation went great. I
> heard about PAO and the solutions it has. First, is
> this the most recomendable way to make it work.
> Second, does PAO work on FreeBSD 4.4. Third, what is
> the easiest way to configure it with PAO once I have a
> running system? I read the PAO manual and followed the
> instructions without success.

PAO is where PCMCIA support in FreeBSD originated. It has been folded
into FreeBSD 4.0 and above and is now obsolete (unless you are running
an older version of FreeBSD).

If you could provide a bit more information on what is going on
(errors, configuration), it would help.

Is the system configured for pccard support? You need:
pccard_enable="YES"
in /etc/rc.conf. I also strongly suggest pccardd_flags="-z". An
ifconfig line (either pccard or specific to the interface) will also be
required.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)