Date:      Thu, 18 May 1995 14:58:04 -0500
From:      Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        adhir@iagi.net, current@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org, tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu
Subject:   Re: Help!

> > related but I have no idea.  I have now disabled the external cache and I
> > am trying the make world again...  It is a lot slower...
>
> If this is not the ASUS board, ignore me!!
>
> I have qualified and done extensive testing on the ASUS Triton board, it
> does work.  To this day I have probably completed over 100 make worlds
> on these boards.  I see you are running a 100Mhz CPU chip, are you also
> running 60nS DRAM as required by the motherboard book.  Have you left
> the BIOS settings on the default values, or have you tried to speed
> things up by tweaking them??

I am running 32 Meg of 70ns EDO DRAM (this was all that was available a
month ago) with 12ns async cache with a SuperMicro mother board and AMI bios.
I havn't tweaked much of anything.  I think the problem might be the external
cache speed in my case.  My system has been running for almost 2.5 hrs now with
the external cache disabled and make world is just about finished.

I talked with some people down in the Electronics shop and they suggested
that the cache speed must be 10ns with a 100 Mhz processor and 8ns with
a 120Mhz processor (1/Processor Mhz).  Do you know if this is correct?

Also, do you know if there is anyway of causing a core dump if the system
hangs?

Thanks.

	-Jim