Date:      Sat, 10 Mar 2018 11:55:44 -0500
From:      Theron <theron.tarigo@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Building ports as unprivileged user (no jail or chroot)

Hi All,

In the interest of reducing the overhead of cleanly building PKG(8)
packages from ports, I have done some research into the possibility of
building and packaging without the need for either superuser or a jailed
system.

With some hacks, I have managed to build a package of
x11-servers/xorg-server from my normal user account which can then be
installed through pkg as root and run successfully.  All non-base build
tools are obtained through pkg as normal user; in fact I have removed
/usr/local/*bin from the PATH used when building.  If anyone is
interested, I can put together a writeup of what I have done so far to
get this to work.  There are still problems with some file paths getting
baked in with the path to my build directory, which of course should not
be there.

However, I am aware that other work has been done towards this end, but
with the diversification of ports management utilities, patch files
distributed by various means, and lack of an established official
solution (using only /usr/ports/Mk and PKG(8)), it's difficult to assess
the situation.  I am hoping that someone who is more familiar with this
matter can point me to any resources or past efforts which may not be
obvious, or perhaps can convince me that trying to get the ports system
to behave in this way is not really worthwhile.

Theron