Date:      Wed, 03 Jul 2002 17:14:21 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Guy Middleton <guy@obstruction.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.6-RELEASE problems with xinit, Xircom pccard ethernet

> Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 19:41:51 -0400
> From: Guy Middleton <guy@obstruction.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I just installed 4.6-RELEASE on a laptop, I'm having a couple of problems.
>

> First, when I run xinit (as a non-superuser), the Xserver fails to start because it
> tries and fails to write to a log file (/var/log/XFree86.0.log).
>
> This never happened in previous versions -- is this a bug, or do I need
> to set some new flag to stop it writing log files?
>
> "X --help" gives no useful hints.

2 problems:
1. Use startx. Don't run xinit directly. This has never been supported
   though it often works

2. Re-install wrappers. You need to do this whenever the X server
   changes. If you have portupgrade, simply 'portupgrade -f wrapper'.
   If not, 'cd /usr/ports/x11/wrapper; make deinstall && make reinstall'

> Second, my Xircom pccard ethernet/modem is not being recognized correctly:
>
> Jul  3 19:34:40 blink /kernel: pccard: card inserted, slot 0
> Jul  3 19:34:46 blink pccardd[48]: Card "Xircom"("16-bit Ethernet + Modem 56") [REM10] [1.00] matched "Xircom" ("16-bit Ethernet + Modem 56") [(null)] [(null)]
> Jul  3 19:34:51 blink pccardd[48]: driver allocation failed for Xircom(16-bit Ethernet + Modem 56): Device not configured
>
> Is there some configuration that has to be done here?  I believe that the
> pccard setup is otherwise correct, since my Lucent 802.11b wireless card
> works fine.

This is a known problem with the new pccard support and the xedriver
on some systems.

Try adding the line machdep.pccard.mem_start=0xd0000 to
/boot/loader.conf.

See Scott Mitchell's response to the same question on freebsd-mobile
on June 16. If you do a Google search on mailing.freebsd.mobile and
search for "Xircom Scott", it will be about the most recent.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)