Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2006 20:39:19 -0700
From:      Pramod Venugopal <pramod@dvnull.org>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Slow Startup with nss_ldap

Hello everyone,

I have a FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE system configured as a Samba Server with
an OpenLDAP backend. I have configured nss_ldap to allow local user
authentication via LDAP.

However if I reboot this machine for any reason, the bootup process
gets stuck on named. If I Ctrl-C out of named, it gets stuck again on
slapd.

However, if i put the original nsswitch.conf back, the machine boots
up fine and i have to copy the old nsswitch.conf back to get local
user authentication.

Here is the updated nsswitch.conf file:
--8<--
passwd: files ldap
group: files ldap
--8<--

 From looking at the logs, it looks like these processes are trying
to access the ldap server which isnt up since it has not started yet.
Is there any way I can get past this (other than using the original
nsswitch.conf and changing back manually)?

Thanks in advance,

Pramod Venugopal