Date:      Tue, 02 Jan 2001 19:21:02 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Rune Mossige" <r.mossige@sensewave.com>
Cc:        heckfordj@psi-domain.co.uk, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASUS A7V and promise problems, SOLVED

"Rune Mossige" writes:
> My problems about the promise appears to have been solved....it was an IRQ
> conflict between the 3COM 3C905C and the onboard USB controller, both using
> irq5. Why this caused the disks on the promise (irq 10) to fail, I do not
> know.....Now I just ned to figure out how to get all adapters (SoundBlaster
> Live!, 3com network adapter and RIVA TNT AGP adapter) to coexist happily
> with their own IRQ's.

Yeah, but! PCI stuff isn't supposed to have problems sharing IRQ's.
Apparently this isn't completely true in practice. Then again there is
too much stuff in there not to. Two UHCI controllers and 3 UHCI hubs.

I bought a Maxtor 45G ATA-100 7200 RPM drive in December when Staples
offered it for $180 with an external USB Zip 100 drive thrown in for
free. Then took Maxtor up on their ATA-100 PCI card rebate of $50
resulting in a net cost of sales tax, time, and postage. For my PPro-200
which had only an ATA-16 on the MB. Lasted about a week before being
nuked by lightning. But didn't take long to find out the Promise
controller and/or FreeBSD 4.2-stable didn't like fxp0, sym0, ahc0, and
the Promise/Maxtor ATA-100 card all on the same IRQ. So I moved the
ATA-100 off and resulted in a happy system.

Now I too have an Asus A7V with built-in Promise. I boot off SCSI. Left
a couple of blank 4G partitions at the start of the 45G disk that I
could play with if your problems persist.

The Award BIOS does the darndest things in assigning IRQ's. Sym0 on IRQ
3? Have not managed to get the SB128 where FreeBSD could assign its
register space until I disabled "PnP OS" in the BIOS so that the cards
are now configured prior to the handoff to the FreeBSD kernel. Now
FreeBSD completely sees the SB card! Soon to be making noise!

And I'm back to playing the Booting For Interupts Game(tm) where one
randomly does things in the BIOS, boots, notes what changed, reboots
and repeats until its right. Want to get that Promise controller off of
any one else's IRQ.

Other than the IRQ stuff and SB card, the only issue with my 1004D BIOS
is that only last night did I finally convince myself the chipset does
not support ECC SDRAM. At least a little put off as I paid for same.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net