Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 1996 12:24:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Dowdal <jdowdal@erols.com>
To:        Torbjorn Granlund <tege@matematik.su.se>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting from sd0 when wd0 is also present

On Sat, 24 Aug 1996, Torbjorn Granlund wrote:

> I got a cheap IDE drive for use as a DOS/Windoze disk.
> Thus, I can use the entire SCSI disk for FreeBSD.
>
> Unfortunately, this makes autoboot fail, with a message that reads something
> like "Unable to change root to sd1".  The SCSI drive is, of course, sd0.
> But it seems that the FreeBSD boot loader incorrectly counts wd0 as if it
> were the first SCSI device in this case.
>
> To me, this seems like a bug.  But maybe it is a feature...?  Is there a
> workaround (less get a dummy SCSI disk with a lower SCSI id :-) ?
>
> I can get things to work in the way indicated by the text early in the boot
> process, but such a manual boot method is not acceptable in the long run.
>
> I am using FreeBSD 2.1 and am now moving to 2.1.5.

This problem occured for me with 2.0.5, I beleive.  I solved it as
follows:

1) Remove the IDE disk from the BIOS config (or physically remove the
   disk if your BIOS runs on an automatic transmission)

2) Boot your system.  Since the SCSI disk is the only one available, it
   will boot correctly.

3) Look at the man page for 'sd'.  You will want to put a line like:
   disk sd1 target 6 lun 0
   in your kernel config, and rebuild and install the kernel.

4) Turn on IDE disk again.

This will simply "hardcode" your SCSI disk as sd1 (change the target #
to the real SCSI ID of the disk).  When the boot code looks for root on
/dev/sd1a, it will find it and not panic :).  This would give you your
"dummie" sd0 without having to sacrifice another drive.

John