Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 1999 13:26:07 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        Jay Nelson <noslenj@swbell.net>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dual 400 -> dual 600 worth it?

At 11:32 AM 12/11/1999 , David Scheidt wrote:

>For the highest level of performance, you really must have each disk on its
>own IDE channel.  I don't have much experience with machines with lots of
>IDE disks.  The most I have worked with is 4 IDE disks, with two on the
>onboard controller and two on a PCI card controller.  The machine didn't
>seem to do as many IO transactions per second as a similiar machine with 4
>LVD SCSI disks.

AFAIK, IDE doesn't really have an equivalent of disconnect/reconnect (though
some vendors have tried to implement something like it). So, by having
more than one drive per interface, you're likely to slow things down
because one drive must wait for the other.

The IDE interface is cheap TTL, though -- a lot cheaper than SCSI. So you
really CAN have an interface per drive at reasonable expense. At that
point, I suspect that the smartness of the OS, and the speed of the host
CPU, would determine performance.

I sometimes long for the days of ESDI, where the host could control
EVERYTHING about the way the drive was read and written. (I did
some experiments which involved positioning the head on a blank track
when a write was expected, then writing the data to the very next
sector that came along while simultaneously updating an intention FIFO
for the metadata on a different spindle. The metadata itself was updated
later, so the intention log kept things from getting out of sync
due to power loss. You could pull the plug on that machine when the
disks were grinding away and never lose a thing.)

I also wrote some pretty good disk cache software during that era -- mostly
in assembler. I decribed how I did it in an article in BYTE circa 1985, and
even threw in a tool that let reader test the effectiveness of different
algorithms in real life situations.

--Brett