Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2002 16:06:52 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install FreeBSD with no swap partition???

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 07:21:37AM -0800, Krissada Jindanupajit (FreeBSD-question) wrote:

> Can I install FreeBSD without swap space or I can add "swapfile" later?
>
> The goal is to make installation process easy.

It's possible to install without a dedicated swap partition so long as
you have sufficient RAM.  Probably not advisory to do so unless you
have a specific reason.

One installed you can easily add a file-backed swap area using
vnconfig(8), and there's provision for adding a swap file like that in
the startup scripts, so you can make it persist over reboots.

However, I fail to see exactly how this makes installations any
easier.  You do know that you can automate sysinstall(8) actions by
whatever partitioning scheme you want.  Do it right, and you can set
up an auto-install CDRom that you just put into the drive and hit
reboot.  Come back a bit later, and there is your machine all ready to
go.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way