Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2002 23:49:42 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "."@babolo.ru
To:        kstailey@surfbest.net (Ken Stailey)
Cc:        alane@geeksrus.net, "."@babolo.ru, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, klh@panix.com
Subject:   Re: [ade@FreeBSD.org: suggests installing in a USER's HOME dir]

Ken Stailey writes:
> Alan Eldridge wrote:

> >>I think use of environment variable is good enough.
> >>${EMULATOR_SPACE} for example (directory for all emulator's disk images)
> >>administrator can set it in login.conf for everybody
> >>or for some classes of users, user can set EMULATOR_SPACE for
> >>himself, and no user install if script does not detect
> >>this variable.
> >Ken, does it get directories from env as well as .ini file?
> >
> >If it doesn't, then this would entail some invasive software mods that
> >I think are beyond the scope of a port, unless the original author was
> >willing to incoroporate them into the base distribution.
> >
> I don't get this at all. Are you saying that it's OK to tell a user to
> modify an env var but not an .ini file?
>
> Seems like all I hear about are limitations I don't understand the
> reason for and over-engineering like layers of scripts to position files
> when there are already ways to tell the Makefiles what to do.
You are right if your port the only port with big
disk image. But ypu are first and there are a lot
of big images with a lot of OSes on it to play
with. I think that some images with UNIX v{5,6,7}
will be next. Much more count of images can't
be free ports, but can share the same method
to define directory to install to.
So, common env variable can be used in all
such cases and can be established with the least
work for example by admin in something as
/big/${USER}/emul - once for all emulators and
users.
Script which uses this variable can be
that script that installs files in /big/${USER}
dir and modyfies .ini files - no need to
patch a emulator in that way that it understand
env variables itself.

--
@BABOLO      http://links.ru/