Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 16:03:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        Ryan Haarberg <haarberg@junglemate.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question on Multi OSes

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Ryan Haarberg wrote:

> Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 19:52:43 -0000
> From: Ryan Haarberg <haarberg@junglemate.com>
> To: questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Question on Multi OSes
>
> Dear Representative,
>
> I am planning on setting a Dell Inspiron 8200 over the weekend. I plan on installing Win XP, Free BSD, and BeOS. Are there any restictions I should keep in mind on partitioning? I plan on formating three partitions as FAT 32. The first one 24 Gb with Win XP (for work), then a 2 Gb for learning FreeBSD and then a 2 Gb for an old favorite BeOS. The only thing I am wondering is if this layout will work? it seems that I had read somewhere that FreeBSD should be within the first 4 Gb of the first hard drive (but I can not seem to find this in the FAQ, is this true. Do you have any reccommednations?
>
> Sincerly,
>
> Ryan Haarberg

The only such limitation I've seen in the BSD world is OpenBSD which IIRC
has to be within the first 8 GB as of version 3.0 - I have FreeBSD
installed at home on a disk somewhere past the 25 GB mark and have had it
past the 40 GB mark as well.

HTH - JB

#  John Bleichert
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg