Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 2002 20:39:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: Fwd: IRC vs identd vs inetd.conf vs me! [255...?]

On Sun, 2 Jun 2002, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > I have uncommented the proper "auth" lines in my /etc/inetd.conf file, and added one line of text (8 chars) to a file called ~/.fakeid however-
> > I continue to get errors similar to the ones above, and wonder why the IP is coming out as 255's and not my actual IP address.  Is it possible to run identd "cloaked" (or whatever) as auth externally and not just "nowait, internal, etc?"
> The IP is probably coming out as 255.255.255.255 because the IRC server software, either:

Do you mean IRC client?  I am not running an IRC server.

> a) Tries to hide your real IP address, from the logs.
> b) Can not resolve your IP address, or similar.

I am using Time Warner RoadRunner's cable modem service and AFAIK all their
"dialup" IPs are resolvable.

> You wouldn't happen to be running identd in a machine that is behind a firewall or masquerading gateway, which blocks the incoming identd requests from the IRC server, right?
> - Giorgos

I -wish- I were behind a firewall... But I could never understand "open" or
"simple" etc uses of ipfw (in /etc/rc.conf yes?)  Besides, identd is not
running; Something [builtin?] called auth is supposed to be taking care of
ident queries to my PC on port 113 or whatever.

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder