Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 16:16:49 +0100 (MET)
From:      sos@freebsd.org
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu (John Fieber)
Cc:        phk@critter.tfs.com, sos@freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, cshenton@apollo.hq.nasa.gov, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thoughts on the install and on Red Hat Linux.

> On Mon, 27 Nov 1995, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>
> > Considering the problems, I belive that an X11-based installation is
> > >not< the thing we should do before we can do a !X11-based installation
> > to some level of satisfaction.
>
> Yes!  Listen to the man!

Exactly my words...
What I propose is a "modern" version of curses/dialog that uses a
simple graphic interface with a simple designer interface...
It doesn't require all the space/setup/whatever that X does, but could
easily be made to run under X later...
What I was after was that it should be damnd easy to design/implement
the user interface, if thats not the case we won't get any graphical
utilities (how many do we have now ????)
I do see we have a problem with text only machinery, for that we
propbly stilll should use curses/dialog.
If we can get a definition done on the function interface, then I'm
ready to change it, if we get real serious we would design it so
that curses/dialog <> "my baby" would have the same interface on
the functioncall level, then we could have both textonly/graphical
solutions...

I'll stop dreaming now....

> (This is not to say that we shouldn't keep an X based install in the back
> of our minds though.  We don't want to make design decisions that
> eliminate future options.)

Sure, that was why I was ready to do a X backend to my baby project...

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time.