Date:      Sat, 15 Aug 1998 17:53:23 -0400
From:      "Thomas Y.C. Woo" <woo@research.bell-labs.com>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem with 16G IBM DTTA 351680 EIDE drive

I was trying to install FreeBSD 2.2.6 onto my Dell R400 with
a 16G IBM DTTA 351680 drive.

Before the install, I successully partitioned the drive into
3 partitions as follows using Partition Magic:

    Partition 1: FAT about 2G
    Partition 2: NTFS about 6G
    Partition 3: unused about 8G

In addition, Partition Magic indicates that the geometry of
the drive is 2055 cyls, 255 hds, 63 sects.

During FreeBSD bootup, it correctly identified the drive, but
incorrectly reported that there is 16383 cyls, 16 hds, 63 sects, 512 b/s,
and a total of 8063MB in 16514064 sectors.

Then in the fdisk stage of install, it showed that there is
1027 cyls, 255 hds, and 63 sects, which is also wrong.
In addition, it failed to see partition 3 altogether and
did not recognize partition to be NTFS.

I am wondering if anybody has gotten FreeBSD to see the whole
drive and properly install FreeBSD onto the system.

Thanks,
Thomas