Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:54:23 -0600
From:      Ben Weaver <bweaver@tranquility.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cannot mount ATAPI CDROM

Hello,

I cvsuped to the 4.4-STABLE tree from 4.3-RELEASE last night and since
making the change I have been unable to mount my CDROM.  Here's all
of the relevant information I know about:

result of mount -r -t cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrom:

cd9660: /dev/acd0c: Invalid argument

From dmesg:

acd0: CDROM <SAMSUNG CD-ROM SCR-3231> at ata1-slave using PIO4

From my kernel config:

options         CD9660                  #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         CD9660_ROOT             #CD-ROM usable as root,

... snip ...

device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives

From ls -l /dev | grep acd:

crw-r-----   2 root     operator  117,   0 Dec 11 16:26 acd0a
crw-r-----   2 root     operator  117,   2 Dec 11 16:26 acd0c
crw-r-----   2 root     operator  117,   8 Dec 11 16:26 acd1a
crw-r-----   2 root     operator  117,  10 Dec 11 16:26 acd1c
crw-r-----   2 root     operator  117,   0 Dec 11 16:26 racd0a
crw-r-----   2 root     operator  117,   2 Dec 11 16:26 racd0c
crw-r-----   2 root     operator  117,   8 Dec 11 16:26 racd1a
crw-r-----   2 root     operator  117,  10 Dec 11 16:26 racd1c

The cdrom drive was working perfectly before changing to 4.4-STABLE,
so I think we can rule out a hardware related problem.  I have tried
remaking the device with MAKEDEV, but it changes nothing.  Could
this problem be related to any changes that have been made in
src/sys/isofs/cd9660 recently or am I just doing something stupid?
For instance, cd9660_vfsops.c was updated just two days ago with the
changelog describing a problem mounting root from a SCSI cdrom, but
it also states that ATAPI cdroms are unaffected.  Could a similar
problem exist somewhere else?

Thanks in advance for any help,

-Ben