Date:      Thu, 20 May 2004 03:51:08 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely12.cicely.de>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cuaa0&ttyd0's bug?

On Wed, 19 May 2004, Bernd Walter wrote:

 > On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 09:05:52PM +0800, wsk wrote:
 > > hi,folks:
 > > It seems that the ttyd0 isn't the dialin line to login , and
 > > the cuaa0 like is both the dialin/out device!under 4.9 above
 > > and 5.X .but the ttyd0 work well under 4.8.
 > > here is my test:
 > > I wanna direct connected two bsd box via a null-modem cable,on

Define the wiring of null-modem cable?  DTR (tied to DSR) asserts CD the
other end, either way?  RTS asserts CTS the other end, either way?

 > > a box ,I congfiured the ttys as follow:
 > > # The 'dialup' keyword identifies dialin lines to login, fingerd etc.
 > > ttyd0 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" dialup on secure
 > > ttyd1 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" dialup off secure
 > > and kill -HUP 1
 > > on the other box , I use cu connenct the box:
 > > cu -l /dev/cuaa0
 > > connected
 > > and then , nothing more i could recv!

What's in /etc/rc.serial for these ports, either end?  Using crtscts?

 > > but if I confirgure the ttys as below:
 > > # The 'dialup' keyword identifies dialin lines to login, fingerd etc.
 > > cuaa0 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" dialup on secure
 > > ttyd1 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" dialup off secure
 > > and do it like before i do , it worked!
 > > why???? It's a bug???
 >
 > The behavour is intentional.
 > Your cable doesn't supply DCD signal.

Or it does, but RTS/CTS aren't wired right? (if used .. so many options!)

 > Either use a cable with DCD suport or stay with cuaa.
 > It's OK to use cuaa if you don't need dialout support.

Still depends on how cuaa0 and ttyd1 are defined, no?

Cheers, Ian