Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 16:15:36 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        YAMAMOTO Shigeru <shigeru@iij.ad.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to allocate an alined address for a device?

In message <20000118163832A.shigeru@iij.ad.jp> YAMAMOTO Shigeru writes:
: In a CardBus system, a start address of status register must be aligned on
: 4KB boundaries.
: Such kind of address alignment is required at mapping meory window,
: expansion ROM and etc.

True.

: I think we use bus_alloc_resource() to map a memory on a device.
: But it seems me that bus_alloc_resource() never guarantees to allocate an
: aligned address.
:
: How to allocate an aligned address to map a memory on a device?

In a cardbus system, one would force the alignment in the card bus
bridge.  It would reject those things that aren't aligned in a sane
manner for cardbus.  It would try again to get a different range, if
possible, or would reject the attempt.

It would be nice if there was some way to have the underlying system,
but there is no way to do that right now.

Does this mean you are working on a cardbus thing?  If so, please
contact me off the list...

Warner