Date:      Mon, 4 Feb 2002 00:08:55 +0100
From:      Alex <FreeBSD@cybertron.tmfweb.nl>
To:        Robert Tsay <cctsay@coollinux.adsldns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd+named=>95% CPU

Hello Robert,

RT> Hello,

RT> I'm asking what's wrong with FreeBSD(4.1 release)
RT> for 95% CPU utilization and I have no way to ssh
RT> in. Once I don't use ssh auth, CPU is just
RT> around 0.5 to 1 %. On the other hand, when
RT> I shut the named, I have no problem to ssh
RT> in. Please advise the fix.

RT> Thanks!
RT> R.

I assume then when you use ssh to login you have heavy use and when
you log in on the machine it self you do not have this.

Do you have a screen saver? Yes = read, no = skip and tell.

Backgroud:

I had something similar month back. Wen using top I couln'd which pid
realy used them. When i sued to root it disapeerd and then came back
5min later.

Someone pointed out that it might be my screen saver. (I had fire on
it). Using a screen saver in a non-graphical enevorment means some
(bios-)calls have to be made which are prity heavy.

Sulution:

Put the black screen save on.

--
Best regards,