Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2000 20:47:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>
Cc:        John LoVerso <loverso@infolibria.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mktemp() patch

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Boris Popov wrote:

> 	Count both, nwfs and smbfs, because any program can attempt to
> create temporary file on these filesystems. File with an invalid file name
> will be rejected, and this will cost an additional lookup operation(s).

I'm not sure that weird filesystems are a valid argument against mktemp()
naming - there are LOTS of UNIX code which assumes UNIX namespace
conventions, and it's not just mktemp() which is going to break on weird
filesystems. For example, should we limit all FreeBSD file names to 8.3
single-case in case someone wants to run from an old-style MSDOS
partition?

Basically, I think the answer is not to use a nwfs or smbfs filesystem as
your TMPDIR :-)

Kris