Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:03:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Sam <sah@softcardsystems.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: AoE for 4.x

>> I'm hoping to have a 5.x driver ready in the next month or two,
>> probably patched against 5.3-stable when it's ready.
>
> Drivers go into the system in the order
> -current
> -stable
>
> This is basically the order we ALWAYS force, to avoid people doing
> development on older branches and a continual loss of functionality.
>
> This means that you (or somebody else) will need to port it to -current
> before it can go into 5.3-stable.

The flip side of this argument is that I can't reasonably
ask customers to pull up -current sources to use a storage
product.  They've got to be able to rely on it and I've got
to be able to manage the service calls.

Eventually I'll have patches against a -stable that's close enough
to a -current that the patch will apply to both.  I'm hoping 5.3
will be this way.

This isn't news to me; I got the same thing from the linux folks.

Sam