Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 2010 11:14:33 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        jhell <jhell@DataIX.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Setting "zfs_arc_max" value in FreeBSD 8.

Quoting jhell <jhell@DataIX.net> (from Tue, 19 Jan 2010 09:45:58 -0500):

> On 1/19/2010 5:16 AM, Sherin George wrote:
>> Thanks Ivan :)
>>
>> I found It. add following in /boot/loader.conf
>>
>> ===================
>> vfs.zfs.arc_max="10244M"
>> ===================

> I just thought I would give a shout at this for stable/7 as of last
> week. I am not sure if this is just me but I had tried to adjust
> zfs_arc_max and found out that it was unadjusted to my value after the
> system came back up.
>
> Anyone know if it is adjustable on a system with 1024MB of ram ? Is this
> just being auto calculated by some other value ?

Can you confirm that you made the modification in /boot/loader.conf,
and that you used the double-quotes around the value as shown above?

The code in 7-stable regarding this is the same as in 8-stable and
9-current, so if it is done correctly, it has to change accordingly.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
You ain't learning nothing when you're talking.