Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 2000 04:18:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      Montgomery Newcom <mn@gblx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.1.1: invalid partition table

I ran into a problem I believe to be similar.  I was attempting to install
FreeBSD 4.1.1 and Win98 on my workstation via ftp install.  I've done this
many times with no problems.  Here's what I did:

1) run fdisk and partition drive; reboot
2) format c:; reboot
3) install windows; reboot; reboot; reboot; etc ..
4) install freebsd via ftp selecting FreeBSD Boot Manager

Everytime I would reboot after installing FreeBSD, the system would hang
right when it would get to the boot manager.

I tried writing the MBR to no avail.

I was able to resolve this by booting from the floppies for FreeBSD-3.x
and using them to write the MBR then exiting.

Everything works great now.  Has the code to write the MBR changed?

	-monte