Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 04:15:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
To:        "Andrew J. Rixon" <ajr@maths.uq.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.2 Release Netboot Questions

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Andrew J. Rixon wrote:
> There are 2 basic questions I have:
>
> Im trying to compile a kernel to put on a floppy which will bootup a pc and
> allow it to then mount its rootfs via nfs.
>
> Problem 1:  In the kernel config file there is a line something similar to:
>
>         config kernel root on wd0
>
> Is there a specification to have the rootfs via nfs?

I don't know about this. It is not in the current GENERIC and LINT files.
There is a line in LINT you need, I think:

options 	BOOTP_NFSROOT

> Problem 2:
>
> The kernel Ive compiled does get the pc to send bootp requests to the server
> and all goes well until it gets into a panic saying:
>
>         Failed to set rootfs on /tftpboot  (for example)

You have set up the tftpd correctly on the server? I suppose you read the
diskless-x stuff on www.freebsd.org/tutorials/diskless-x. If you want a
more detailed breakdown of tftp etc., the NetBSD diskless HowTo is great:

www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/index.html

It helped me get things running on a diskless Sun3x.

Marc

--
Marc Schneiders
marc@oldserver.demon.nl