Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:51:11 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading libs with many dependent ports

I have just been cleaning up the mess caused by the upgrade of xcb-utils.
On my systmes I have hundreds of ports that will be re-built by the methods
listed in UPDATING, even though the vast majority of them are only
dependent on other ports that are dependent on xcb-utils, but don't
actually load any of the libraries in xcb-utils. It is a huge waste of time
and CPU cycles.

I think that I can see two ways of eliminating the rebuilding of ports that
don't need it. One is rather manual but can be done now while the other
wou;d be automatic, but would need to be written by someone who is far
better at writing shell scripts than I.

The manual method would be to install sysutils/bsdadminscripts and use a
command like `pkg_libchk | grep -E "xcb-.+.so" | sort > tmpfile` to provide
a list of ports that actually are linked to the libraries in question. This
would be fed into portmaster to rebuild just these ports. (I guess I could
use awk and uniq to remove repeats.)

Should this become a preferred method of handling this problem?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com