Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 1996 19:10:53 +0100 (MET)
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        tims@achilles.k12.ar.us (Timothy Stoddard)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting for FTP

> I currently purchased the FreeBSD 2.1 for Walnut Creek CDROM in the
> hopes that I could mount on my linux (until I can change it to
> BSD) machine so I could FTP the kernal to my other machines.  The
> problem I am having it that I never can find the correct directory that
> I should install from.  I have tried to ln the correct directories, but
> I am at a loss as to which ones are important.  Any direction that you
> could give would be appreciated.  Thanks

If I understand you right you want to want to use your linux system
to mount the CD and install via ftp from that CD to the other machine?

Do you have an anonymous ftp account on the linux machine?
If that's the case you can mount the CD into ~ftp/pub/FreeBSD/2.1.0-RELEASE
and the install script will find the distribution there.
If you want to install via ftp as an arbitrary user there is an option
to specify that username/password in the configuartion/install menu
once you have booted the install disk.