Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 19:21:41 -0700 (MST)
From:      "David G. Andersen" <danderse@cs.utah.edu>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>, Seth Leigh <seth@pengar.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, lepreau@cs.utah.edu
Subject:   Re: Not so sinister.  Was:(Re: Attempt to relicense BSD code under the  GPL)

Lo and Behold, Daniel C. Sobral said:
> >     b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
> >     whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any
> >     part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
> >     parties under the terms of this License."
>
> "Packaging" things together is usually not perceived as being the
> same as "contains". The BSD source is not "inside" the GPL source.
> This is why FreeBSD can "package" GPL stuff together with our BSD
> stuff. :-)

   And to expand upon what Daniel said a bit, it's important to
consider one of the really neat things about the OSKit - that most of
the code that's encapsulated is done so without modifying the original
source at all.  (Except bugfixes and such.  We make a strong attempt
to back-port all bugfixes to the original FreeBSD sources).  If you
look at the OSKit, then, it has this funky "freebsd/src" directory,
which contains, virtually unmodified, all of the FreeBSD sources.  The
FreeBSD code isn't simply ripped out and glommed in to our own code
(the stuff labeled with the GPL).

   The glue code which permits the various parts of the OSKit to
interoperate was, however, written by the Utah folk.  It's what makes
the OSKit the OSKit, and not just some randomly created collection of
sources.  :-)

   -Dave

[Oblig. disclaimer:  I speak for myself, not for my employer.
 If you want a legal discussion of stuff in the oskit, you'll
 have to get Jay to pound on the legal folks at Utah for one.
 IANAL, thank god. :-]

--
work: danderse@cs.utah.edu                     me:  angio@pobox.com
      University of Utah                            http://www.angio.net/