Date:      Sat, 3 Jul 1999 21:39:50 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        zhaxing <zhaxing@mail.sc.cninfo.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: have any GIS software run on freebsd

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, zhaxing wrote:

> have any GIS software run on freebsd

I'm not aware of any FreeBSD native GIS software, readily available.  The
GRASS suite is available in source form, and there now appears to be
active development on it again after the US Army decided to abandon it.
IIRC there's a web home page somewhere at Baylor Uni (the URL's at work
:-().  I know someone was trying to build GRASS on FreeBSD, but was having
problems.  When I get some time I might have a go at building it myself.

That said, you might be able to find a Linux binary package of GRASS which
may be runnable under FreeBSD's Linux emulator.

If you get any pointers to other GIS packages (except Microstation, which
I notice someone has responded to you about), I would like to know.

I use Arc/Info on Solaris at work, but I don't see much likelihood of a
even a Linux version :-( - ESRI are moving toward being an MS-only ISV
AFAICT (they'll deny that suggestion of course, but I can't see any
evidence to the contrary).

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia