Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 15:10:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Prior <asp@compt.com>
To:        <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Target mode help

 Hello,
  I'm trying to start in on a project that requires target mode support, and
I'm looking for a little help to get me started.  I hope this is the right
place, if not, please accept my apologies and please direct me to the
correct place.  I'm pretty familar with linux, and pretty familiar with SCSI,
but not so much with freeBSD, so please forgive me if I've overlooked
something obvious.

  I compiled a new kernel with the "targ" and "targbh" devices included
in the conf file, booted into that kernel, and have tried the scsi_target
example program but it's always complaining "Controller does not support
target mode1" and "TARGCTLIOALLOCUNIT: Device not configured" no matter
what I do.  It's not clear to me what options I should be using for
the scsi_target program, but I seem to get these messages all the time.

  The computer has a supermicro 370DE6 motherboard that has two onboard
AIC-7899 controllers.  I see that the controllers are recognized as ahc0
and ahc1, but it complains about data parity errors for some reason.  When
the computer boots up that's connected to one of those buses, the controller
reports a bus reset.

  I created the /dev/targ.ctl device as well as /dev/targ0, and I think the
correct call to the sample program (that produces the errors above) is
"scsi_target -p 0 -t 7 -l 0" since the adaptor at the other end of the
SCSI bus is set to ID 7.  I've tried lots of varients, but it keeps
complaining that the controller doesn't support target mode when I'm
pretty sure it should.

  If anybody can give me a push in the right direction, or point me to
a good tutorial, book, or other documentation then I would very much
appreciate it.

  Thanks!

  - Andrew