Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 1999 02:45:30 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        flygt@sr.se, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Timezone question

On Mon, Apr 05, 1999 at 10:40:28AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Monday,  5 April 1999 at  1:52:05 +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:

> >> You mean the clock?  No.
> >>
> What do you mean by "correct"?  My CMOS clock shows UTC, and that's
> correct.  Since UTC and GMT are pretty much the same thing, you might
> consider UTC to currently be "incorrect".  But I suppose you mean that
> it's showing BST, right?

Yes

> > Since you say FreeBSD doesn't change the CMOS clock
>
> I didn't say that.

What did you mean by "No" in the first couple of lines quoted above?

> adjkerntz *does* update the clock.  Take a look at
> the man page: it's extensive.

I've just looked at it. /etc/wall_cmos_clock exists so FreeBSD
interprets the CMOS clock as local time. There is also the following
entry in /etc/crontab:

# time zone change adjustment for wall cmos clock,
# does nothing, if you have UTC cmos clock.
# See adjkerntz(8) for details.
1,31    0-4     *       *       *       root    /sbin/adjkerntz -a

which I take to mean that my CMOS clock *was* adjusted by adjkerntz
-a since I don't have a UTC CMOS clock (because of the existence
of /etc/wall_cmos_clock). Is this correct?

> > I don't have a problem, everything is working, I was just curious
> > *why* it was working.
>
> Right.  I think this is thanks to adjkerntz.
>
> > BTW, In a previous post of yours in this thread you mentioned about
> > Windows not knowing about the TZ in Northern Territories,
>
> That's the Northern Territory.  There's only one of them.

Damn. I was right. A question in the pub quiz tonight was "Which
is the only Australian state without an 's' in it's name?". I
rembered your e-mail and answered "Northern Territory" but was told
I was wrong, it was Victoria. That's why I pluralized it in my
e-mail, I thought I'd remembered your e-mail incorrectly. I shall
take the matter up with the question-master.

> > which from then on you referred to as NT.
>
> That's the official abbreviation.

I know, but I didn't think I needed to tell _you_ that ;-)

> > The last sentence (I've deleted
> > the message so I can't quote it verbatim) read something like
> > "...obviously Windows doesn't know about NT". I don't know if the
> > double entendre was intentional but it was highly amusing either
> > way :-)
>
> What I said was:
>
>   The version I have also seems to think that SA reaches all the way
>   to the north of the continent, eliminating the Northern Territory:
>   it believes that NT doesn't exist :-)
>
> And yes, the double entendre was intentional.  That was the whole
> point.  I'm off to the AUUGwet conference in Darwin NT next week, and
> I'm wondering how to bring the matter to their attention.

Turn up an hour late (or early?) for the conference and tell them
their clocks are wrong, because Windows says so :-)