Date:      Mon, 1 May 2023 02:04:22 +0200
From:      Tomek CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>
To:        Matthew Grooms <mgrooms@shrew.net>, Graham Perrin <grahamperrin@freebsd.org>,  Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>,  Virtualisation on FreeBSD <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>, elenamihailescu22@gmail.com,  Mihai Carabas <mihai.carabas@gmail.com>, gusev.vitaliy@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: BHYVE_SNAPSHOT

--0000000000005719b605fa96918e

o_O

On Sun, Apr 30, 2023, 23:42 Matthew Grooms <mgrooms@shrew.net> wrote:

> On 4/29/23 06:17, void wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Where can I read up about the recently introduced BHYVE_SNAPSHOT ?
> >
> > I can only find terse information about what it does (in man 5 src.conf)
> > but not about how to use it and/or why.
>
> This began as sponsored student work with the Politehnica University of
> Bucharest back in 2016 with an eye toward developing Live MIgration as a
> feature. The initial bhyve save/restore patch was committed back in 2020
>
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/rS360648
>
> Student projects related to bhyve continued until last year, but we gave
> up due to there being such a massive accumulation of patches with no
> path to getting them committed. We tried reaching out to project
> maintainers and the FreeBSD foundation alike for support and feedback,
> but there seems to be little to no interest. There have also been
> attempts by companies that rely on these features to and get them
> improved and committed. Unfortunately they don't appear to be having
> much luck either ...
>
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D38858#885651
>
> Would you like to see support for VM snapshots in the generic kernel?
> How about support for saving/restore checkpoints using QCOW2, VMDK via
> libvdsk? How about support for warm or live migration? How about USB
> device pass-through? There are experimental patches for all these
> features that were developed by students at UPB. In a lot of cases,
> there are open reviews that have been waiting on feedback for ages. Here
> is a a presentation given by Elena from UPB just last month at the
> FreeBSD devsumit in Tokyo ...
>

> https://wiki.freebsd.org/DevSummit/202303?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=Presentation+-+bhyvecon.pdf
>
> The case is quite plain. I'm not sure what the solution is to this
> problem. I'd love to hear feedback from the community about how I've got
> this completely wrong and how the course could be corrected. That would
> be something.
>
> -Matthew

--0000000000005719b605fa96918e

CeDeROM, SQ7MHZ, <a href=3D"http://www.tomek.cedro.info">http://www.tomek.c=
ass=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Apr 30, 2023, 23:42 Matthew Grooms &lt;<a href=
ockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #=
ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">On 4/29/23 06:17, void wrote:<br>
&gt; Hi,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Where can I read up about the recently introduced BHYVE_SNAPSHOT ?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I can only find terse information about what it does (in man 5 src.con=
f)<br>
&gt; but not about how to use it and/or why.<br>
This began as sponsored student work with the Politehnica University of <br=

Bucharest back in 2016 with an eye toward developing Live MIgration as a <b=
r>
feature. The initial bhyve save/restore patch was committed back in 2020 ..=
.<br>
er" target=3D"_blank">https://reviews.freebsd.org/rS360648</a><br>;
Student projects related to bhyve continued until last year, but we gave <b=
r>
up due to there being such a massive accumulation of patches with no <br>
path to getting them committed. We tried reaching out to project <br>
maintainers and the FreeBSD foundation alike for support and feedback, <br>
but there seems to be little to no interest. There have also been <br>
attempts by companies that rely on these features to and get them <br>
improved and committed. Unfortunately they don&#39;t appear to be having <b=
r>
much luck either ...<br>
eferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://reviews.freebsd.org/D38858#885651</a><br=

Would you like to see support for VM snapshots in the generic kernel? <br>
How about support for saving/restore checkpoints using QCOW2, VMDK via <br>
libvdsk? How about support for warm or live migration? How about USB <br>
device pass-through? There are experimental patches for all these <br>
features that were developed by students at UPB. In a lot of cases, <br>
there are open reviews that have been waiting on feedback for ages. Here <b=
r>
is a a presentation given by Elena from UPB just last month at the <br>
FreeBSD devsumit in Tokyo ...<br>
p;do=3Dview&amp;target=3DPresentation+-+bhyvecon.pdf" rel=3D"noreferrer nor=
eferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://wiki.freebsd.org/DevSummit/202303?action=
=3DAttachFile&amp;do=3Dview&amp;target=3DPresentation+-+bhyvecon.pdf</a><br=

The case is quite plain. I&#39;m not sure what the solution is to this <br>
problem. I&#39;d love to hear feedback from the community about how I&#39;v=
e got <br>
this completely wrong and how the course could be corrected. That would <br=

be something.<br>
-Matthew<br>

--0000000000005719b605fa96918e--