Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 21:10:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        "Adam D. Marks" <amarks@ecst.csuchico.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make question

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Adam D. Marks wrote:

> Now I was told when running make to use the -j option. But I have tried
> numbers from 1 to 20 it seems the larger the number the faster it gets. Is
> there a convention I should be following to utilize the smp in compiles?

The -j option controlls the maximium number of jobs that make will spawn.
If you don't supply one, it does every thing serially, and you won't benefit
from the second CPU.  The point at which you see the biggest benefit will
depend on what the limit on performance is.  In my machine, the limit is
almost always disk performance.

David Scheidt