Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 1995 14:01:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      mikebo@tellabs.com (Mike Borowiec)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        mikebo@tellabs.com (Mike Borowiec), gibbs@freebsd.org
Subject:   FBSD 2.xR: AIC7xxx driver vs. st() driver vs. tape drives

Greetings -
I sent e-mail on this problem to Justin, the author of the AIC7xxx
driver. He suggested I post my problems to this list:

I've been running an Adaptec 1542B controller under FBSD 2.0 in a 486/50
EISA/VESA system for some time. I've never had a problem with my Archive
Viper QIC150 and Exabyte 8200 tape drives before. Last week, I got an
Adaptec 2742AT EISA dual-channel SCSI card, and have been unable to use
either tape drive since.

Thinking that the new and improved 274x driver code in v2.0.5R might
solve the problem, I tried installing the new OS. The QIC150 tape install
failed with the same error I get under 2.0R whenever I try to access the
Archive Viper QIC150 drive.

DEBUG: Notify: Attempting to extract from SCSI tape drive...
DEBUG: Executing command 'cpio -iBduVm -H tar -I /dev/rst0' (Magic 0)
st0(ahc1:2:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST
st0: Cannot set selected mode
st0: bad request, must be between 0 and 0
cpio: read error: Input/output error
DEBUG: Command 'cpio -iBduVm -H tar -I /dev/rst0' returns status of 1

Another problem I'm having (under 2.0R) since installing the AHA2742AT
card: Whenever I try to access the Exabyte 8200 8mm drive (even to do
a "mt -f /dev/st1 rewind") I get a timeout message on the root disk
drive, the drive select light stays lit and the entire system hangs.

ahc0: target 0, lun 0 (sd0) timed out Abort unsupported!
ahc0: target 0, lun 0 (sd0) timed out Abort unsupported!

The root drive in this case is an Imprimis 94601-15 (aka. Seagate
Wren-VII model ST41200N). This also worked fine on the AHA1542B,
and began happening immediately after I installed the AHA2742AT.

Can anyone answer:
o  Are there known problems with the SCSI or ST drivers and/or Archive
   Viper and/or Exabyte drives? Justin cannot confirm the Viper problem
   as he doesn't own one of these drives. Recent posts to
   comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc indicate I'm not the only one having the
   "st0: bad request, must be between 0 and 0" problem.
o  According to the 2.0.5R release notes, the AIC7xxx driver code is
   much better than 2.0R, so is the problem in the SCSI or ST driver,
   or is it the fault of my tape or disk drives?
o  Is there a workaround so I can get 2.0.5 running?
o  I can't tell if Exabyte access will hang the OS under 2.0.5R since
   I can't get it installed... but this is a major problem under 2.0R.
   Does anyone know what the "Abort unsupported" message means and how
   I can work around it?

Both the Viper and Exabyte drives worked flawlessly with the 1542B, so
I'm sorely tempted to go back to the ISA controller even tho I'm running
an EISA system board. ACK!!!

Any help or comments are much appreciated...
- Mike
Michael Borowiec        Network Operations      Tellabs Operations, Inc.
mikebo@TELLABS.COM                              1000 Remington Blvd. MS109
708-378-6007  FAX: 708-378-6714                 Bolingbrook, IL, USA 60440