Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 2000 17:06:57 +0200
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Load balancing ethernet?

Hello,
I'd like to know whether there's a facility to do Ethernet load
balancing (having two NICs in one machine) in FreeBSD. The background
is that I've got a 512 cable uplink here and getting 1024 would be way more
expensive than having two independent 512 ones. So I'm really
interested if I can get a NAT box to share the load among those two
lines...
Some details about the cablemodems:
Those are 1st(?) generation Com21 models acting merely as some kind of
bridge (routing your ethernetframes over cable into the backbone) and
don't use their own IP nor are they acting as a conventional IP router.
Cablecompany doesn't seem to have an idea which IP is connected to
which modem or which MAC address (as they finally gave up trying to
get traffic data for traffic based billing and now officially offer flat).
The modems itself have got a MAC address, I think (there's atleast a
sticker with one on the ground).

Best regards,
 Gabriel