Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2006 10:57:18 +0400
From:      "Oleg D." <perl@ipchains.ru>
To:        Dirk Engling <erdgeist@erdgeist.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, Mike Meyer <mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df@mired.org>
Subject:   Re: jails, cron and sendmail

Dirk Engling wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006, Mike Meyer wrote:
>
>> Except some of the things run from cron want to send mail all on their
>> own, so fixing cron won't solve your problem.
>>
>> Why are you running cron inside the jails at all? Are you letting your
>> users run it? If not, can you disable it, and instead run scripts from
>> your real crontab that do the appropriate thigns in each jail?
>
> It's not me, it's the OS running cron to do its periodic checks, per
> default. But Daniel Gerzo already pointed out, how to solve that.
>
> Still: FreeBSD's /etc/ assumes and provides a working mail subsystem in
> its default configuration. That exposes sendmail to the publicly visible
> IP address. Shutting the mail sub system off causes trouble.
>
> I hope, that describes my motivation to bring up the topic.
>
>   erdgeist

0. Is it possible to fix your MTA config to make it ``deliver'' for
``root'' or ``postmaster'' to /dev/null?

1. Is it possible to make changes in /etc/crontab for all jails on
machine? And place the same *blank* /etc/crontab for new jails that are
going to be created as a template?

--
Oleg D.

--
don't believe every word people use to say, they might be wrong.

an undefined problem has infinitive number of solutions.