Date:      07 Nov 1999 02:41:56 -0500
From:      Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Logging inetd and all connections/failures

"Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com> writes:

> You did reboot if you only made changes to rc.conf.local, right? If
> you do,

Of course. ;^)

> % ps aux | grep inetd

Oh, inetd is running.
root       234  0.0  1.3   892  392  ??  Is    2:00PM   0:00.11 inetd -lwW

> What do you get? It should have the flags that you indicated.
>
> > Neither are pings and alike. syslogd and inetd are running.
>
> I believe inetd will only log connection attempts for ports on which it
> is listening. Since it is only listening for TCP and UDP connections,
> ICMP, like ping, will never be seen by inetd.

Yes, but I thought the "log_in_vain" was going to give me that.

> What does your syslog.conf look like? inetd uses the 'daemon' facility
> when generating messages. In the default syslog.conf, you will get
> 'notice' and above messages to /var/log/messages. A _very_ quick
> glance at the source makes me think the logging of connections occurs
> at the 'info' level. You will need to modify syslog.conf.

Oh. My syslog.conf is vanilla out of the box on 3.3-R.
door:~$ cat /etc/syslog.conf
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/syslog.conf,v 1.9.2.1 1999/08/29 14:19:02 peter Exp $
#
#       Spaces are NOT valid field separators in this file.
#       Consult the syslog.conf(5) manpage.
*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit          /dev/console
*.notice;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err /var/log/messages
mail.info                                       /var/log/maillog
lpr.info                                        /var/log/lpd-errs
cron.*                                          /var/cron/log
*.err                                           root
*.notice;news.err                               root
*.alert                                         root
*.emerg                                         *
# uncomment these if you're running inn
# news.crit                                     /var/log/news/news.crit
# news.err                                      /var/log/news/news.err
# news.notice                                   /var/log/news/news.notice
!startslip
*.*                                             /var/log/slip.log
!ppp
*.*                                             /var/log/ppp.log

Hmm. This looks cryptic at the first site. I guess I'll have to read
some docs.

Thanks!
--
Arcady Genkin                                http://wgaf.dyndns.org
"'What good is my pity? Is not the pity the cross upon which he who