Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:23:15 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Alex Baram <baram@mscd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nfs exports from the same filesystem

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 09:36:46AM -0600, Alex Baram wrote:
>      I want to export a couple of directories.  The directories are
> located on the same filesystem and are being exported to the same host.
> One directory in read-only and another directory in read-write.  Here is
> the exports file I use:
>
> /etc/exports:
>
> ## Export my home dir read-write
> /home/alex  nova
>
> ## Export rcs read-only
> /home/rcs   -ro   nova
>

>      When I restart mountd, only /home/alex gets exported and I see this
> error in /var/log/messages:
>
> Aug 16 09:26:13 clem mountd[45972]: can't change attributes for
> /home/rcs
> Aug 16 09:26:13 clem mountd[45972]: bad exports list line /home/rcs -ro
> nova
>
>       Can I export more than one directory on the same filesystem to a
> single host?

Yes, but they cannot have different attributes. The proper syntax is,

  /home/alex /home/rcs nova

Read the exports(5) manpage carefully, this is documented behavior,

     Each line in the file (other than comment lines that begin with a #)
     specifies the mount point(s) and export flags within one local server
     filesystem for one or more hosts.  A host may be specified only once for
     each local filesystem on the server and there may be only one default
     entry for each server filesystem that applies to all other hosts.

>  If not, is there any other way to achieve the same effect?

To have different option flags? Not really. This is a limitation of
the NFS protocol.