Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 08:23:26 -0400
From:      Steve Sims <SimsS@IBM.Net>
To:        Kenneth Ingham <ingham@i-pi.com>
Cc:        "mobile@FreeBSD.ORG" <mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: 2.2.5-RELEASE and PC Cards

There's not, by chance, Win'95 involved here, is there?

I've learned that if I multi-boot into Win'95 and it weaves its voodoo on
my 3C589D then the only way to get FreeBSD 2.2.x to work with it is to
either power-cycle the laptop or to pull the card, wait, and re-insert it.

My assumption is that the Win'95 PnP code puts the 3C589D into some bogus
state that can't easily be sorted out without a hard re-init of the card.

An irritation, but also a compelling reason to minimize the number of times
I actually boot a Micro$oft product ;-)

An aside:  Under Win'95 I get, like "best-case" ~60K/sec (FTP) between my
laptop and my FreeBSD server.  Under FreeBSD on the laptop, I consistently
get > 700K/sec.  (This on a relatively saturated 10b2 network.)

I think Unca Bill's people have some work to do.

...sjs...