Date:      Fri, 10 May 2002 12:41:18 -0500
From:      "Jay Austad" <austad@marketwatch.com>
To:        "'Mikhail Kruk'" <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: need advice on hardware for a server

I've had good luck with Dell equipment.  You can get a Dell 1650
starting at $1499, and add all sorts of stuff including a RAID
controller and up to 3 73GB 15k RPM drives.

Basically, to config the RAID, you create the container through the BIOS
when booting (not the system bios, the raid bios).  Once your container
is created, the OS will simply see it as one drive.  Also, if you're
looking for high performance, do not use raid-5.  While reads are quite
fast, writes on RAID-5 are very slow.  Usually RAID 0+1 or RAID 10 offer
you the best performance and the most redundancy, but you need a minimum
of 4 drives for either of these, and the 1650's will only hold 3 drives.
You could upgrade to 2550's though.  They are fairly cheap, and they
will hold 5 drives I think.  I don't think the RAID cards on the 2550's
will do RAID 10, so you'd have to use 0+1.  RAID 0 == devil.

Jay