Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 1995 10:17:02 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   AHA2940 driver

Is anyone actually using this driver?  I just bought a new machine with
a 2940 attached to a 1GB HP driver and had an unpleasant time installing
-current on it.  I started with the boot&cpio from the last snapshot and
while this managed to get past the probe, it was not able to read the
bootsector or disklabel.

OK, fine, I thought, I'll copy the GENERIC kernel from current.  This
failed miserably in the probe for SCSI devices with messages like:

ahc0: target 1, lun 0 (probe0) requests Check Status
ahc0: target 1, lun 0 (probe0) Sending Sense
ahc0: WARNING no command for scb %d (cmdcmplt)
QOUTCNT == 0
ahc0: board not responding

I turned on some of the SCSI debugging messages and the swine started
working (slowly because of all the printfs).  After staring at the code,
I am convinced the problem is caused by the first message (requests Check
Status) confusing ahcintr and/or ahc_poll.  I commented out the code
which does the Sending Sense part and everything started working.  I
still get the Check Status message whenever a partition is opened.

All this is with the BIOS set to use Asynchonous SCSI for the drive in
question.  I have tried synchronous but that doesn't work at all.

--
Doug Rabson, RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
					Phone: +44 171 251 4411