Date:      Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:19:42 +0200
From:      "Rehsack Jens \(ext\)" <jens.rehsack.ext@siemensvdo.com>
To:        "Tobias Roth" <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Help needed: cannot send packets larger 230 bytes via vodafone umts

-----Original Message-----
From: Tobias Roth [mailto:roth@iam.unibe.ch]=20
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 1:41 PM
To: Rehsack Jens (ext)
Cc: freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: Help needed: cannot send packets larger 230 bytes via
vodafone umts

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 12:03:18PM +0200, Rehsack Jens (ext) wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >=20
> > after weeks of waiting my UMTS Card arrives (web-search ensures
> > me that it will work - eg. le's Blog ...)
> >=20
> > So I figured out how to configure ppp (it's not trivial! ;-)) and
> > after around 5 or 6 hours I get it run that way, that nslookup
> > & ping works ...
> >=20
> > And that's all - here I stopped and can't get any progress.
> >=20
> > I started some diagnostics why my web wont work, and detected
> > that packets larger than 229 byte payload via ping will swallowed
> > by the connection (I don't know where).
>=20
> Did you try traceroute with a packetlength larger than your 229 bytes
> to see where the packets get dropped and for what reason?
>=20
> greets, t.

Now I did ;)

And horribly I had to see, that traceroute seems to transport even
larger packets an get's the wanted answers. I also tried after that
shock >traceroute -P TCP< and seen, that it works, too.

But an >echo "GET /
" | telnet www.uni-halle.de 80< didn't get any answer (keeps empty).

Using links or firefox to query a web-site results in keeping the
browser querying and I cannot see any sent response in the tcpdump.

I don't have a firewall in the kernel nor loaded as module etc. (A
friend I asked yesterday, asked that back at the first).

Beste regards,
Jens