Date:      27 Jul 2002 22:53:44 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        John Reynolds <johnjen@reynoldsnet.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how is the GNOME 2 package these days?

--=-4HhY0Gc5rer38k27APgt

On Sat, 2002-07-27 at 22:07, John Reynolds wrote:
> Hi -ports, I was reconfiguring my laptop this afternoon and wanted to blo=
w away
> GNOME 1.4 and try GNOME 2. What's the status of the port(s)? Are they cur=
rently
> buildable and 'usable'? Are there any known "gotchas" to watch out for? I
> planned on deleting darn near every port on the system before starting th=
> massive compile-fest (had to do this for GNOME 1.2 -> 1.4 as well).
>=20
> Just curious to see what "state" things are in.

Things are good.  I have two GNOME 2.0 test machines, and I recently did
a friend's machine on GNOME 2.0, and so far, no big problems.  The
biggest (maybe only real serious) gotcha is gdm.  gdm2 doesn't work out
of /etc/ttys right now.  You have to create an RC script in
/usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d to start gdm.  For example:

#!/bin/sh

PREFIX=3D/usr/X11R6

case "$1" in

start)
        ${PREFIX}/bin/gdm
        ;;
stop)
        /usr/bin/killall gdm 2>/dev/null
        ;;
*)
        echo "$0 start | stop"
        ;;

esac

I'm still trying to figure out why gdm doesn't like /etc/ttys.  Other
than that, I've been pretty happy with the way GNOME 2.0 has worked
out.  Of course, you'll want to review http://www.freebsd.org/gnome for
some other hints, and keep checking it as it will be updated as GNOMENG
progresses.

Joe

>=20
> -Jr
>=20
> --=20
> John & Jennifer Reynolds  johnjen@reynoldsnet.org  http://www.reynoldsnet=
.org/
> Sr. Component Design Engineer, ICG, Intel Corp.    jreynold@sedona.ch.int=
el.com
> Running FreeBSD since 2.1.5-RELEASE.               FreeBSD: The Power to =
Serve!
> "Unix is user friendly, it's just particular about the friends it chooses=
."
>=20
>=20

--=-4HhY0Gc5rer38k27APgt