Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 12:16:46 +0100
From:      Lorenzo Cavassa <Lorenzo.Cavassa@ALPcom.IT>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dell or Compaq

Hi,

i've an hard to resolve problem: my organization needs to port all the
services running on a Sun Enterprise 4500 (8 cpu, 1GB ram, Solaris 2.6) on
one or more server running FreeBSD.
Services are all the classical internet services: email, web, ftp, proxy, dns, ldap,
mysql and so on.

Because i'm involved in the task, i'm searching for the best hardware
platform that can supply the same services with the same overall speed.

I'm oriented to buy Dell or Compaq (Intel) servers (one or more), but i have
several questions about:

- SMP: planning to run FreeBSD 3.4, on a Dell or a Compaq server, can i
suppose to run SMP in a reliable manner?

- RAID: apart from DPT, there are other RAID solutions? i know that Compaq sell
several RAID solutions supported by FreeBSD. It's true?

- software RAID: can i think vinum as a reliable solution?

Thank you for the support,

Lorenzo