Date:      Sun, 02 Jan 2000 11:32:24 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Adam Mackler <mackler-fb@dewline.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: creating bootable CD-ROM

One list only, please.  Especially, don't crosspost between -questions
and -hackers.

> First, is "El Torito" the only way to boot from a CD-ROM?

On the PC, the "El Torito" standard is the only CD-ROM boot method with
any sort of wide support.

> Is there some way to use disklabel to make the ISO9660
> filesystem bootable, so that /boot and /kernel can just
> go in the CD-ROM filesystem, rather than being embedded in
> the image of a floppy disk?

No.  disklabel is strictly for UFS filesystems, and knows nothing about
CDROMs.

You should read the El Torito standard (it's quite brief) and learn about
"no emulation" mode.  (That's what mkisofs calls it, I don't have the
document handy to give you the real name.)  In this mode, your bootstrap
code (which must live in a file in the iso filesystem) is loaded as a
primary bootstrap, and the CD-ROM is exposed directly as a BIOS device.

This is how the NT bootstrap works; we will probably be adopting it now
that the latest release of mkisofs claims to support it.

> Second, what is the purpose of the -C boot flag?  On the boot(8)
> man page is says "boot from CDROM," but I can boot from
> a CD (El Torito style) without it.  Does it have any use,
> possibly in the context of my first question?

It's an obsolete flag passed to the kernel telling it to search for a
CDROM that it can mount as the root filesystem.