Date:      Sat, 09 Oct 2004 16:25:12 +0200
From:      Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Hugo Silva <klr@6s-gaming.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Age of Empires on FreeBSD --- Possible?

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 09:20:37PM -0000, Hugo Silva wrote:
> I really need to get Age of Empires II - The Conquerors Expansion working
> on my (only workstation) FreeBSD box.
>
> I don't have windows anymore and I'll not switch back to be able to play,
> but I'd like to know if it is possible at all to run the game on BSD.
> Perhaps winex ? I heard it is compiling OK now with several patches..
>
> Also read people could run Diablo II and WarCraft III, so perhaps it's
> possible to play AoE with winex.
>
> Where can I get a working winex version for FreeBSD? (5.2.1-RELEASE)
>
> If any of you could make this game run on FreeBSD, I'd love to know how it
> was achieved.

Hi Hugo,

I'm guessing your new to FreeBSD. FreeBSD works with a port system. This
can be compaired with the Debian apt-get. You can find more information
about this in the handbook that you can find at www.freebsd.org/handbook.

As to you're question. I didn't find these games in the ports. If these
games exist for linux then you can rum them on FreeBSD by enable the
linux support. You could also install wine (although you may need a
windows partion for this) or vmware (you _don't_ need a windows partion
for this). These are in the ports.

You can install these by:
cd /usr/ports/emulators/wine; make install && make clean
cd /usr/ports/emulators/vmware3; make install && make clean

--
Alex

Please copy the original recipients, otherwise I may not read your reply.
WWW: http://www.kruijff.org/alex/FreeBSD/